Women and Cholesterol

Women and cholesterol, what's the big deal?

Studies indicate that 1/4 of American women have blood cholesterol levels high enough to put them at risk for coronary disease. If you are over 40, you are at a higher risk of having high cholesterol and 1/2 of women over 55 don't' realize it but they need to lower their cholesterol levels.

Screening should start as early as 20 years of age and should be every 5 years. At age 40 the screening should be more frequent, consult with your doctor.

Cholesterol, wrapped in protein, moves through your bloodstream to protect nerves, produce hormones, and aid in liver functions. Cholesterol, a fat like substance, itself is not bad but your risk of heart attack or stroke increases when there is too much cholesterol in your blood. Build up of plaque substance in the arteries, which restrict the blood flow to the heart, is the result of too much cholesterol in the blood.

According to research, studies show the older women get, their body produces less HDL or "good" cholesterol and more LDL or "bad" cholesterol. Your body produces 80% of the cholesterol found in your blood. Your diet contributes the other 20%. That's why it is important to chose a diet low in saturated fat, reduce stress in your daily life, quit smoking, consume moderate amount of alcohol, maintain a healthy weight and be involved in physical activities.

Here are some exercises that may help you lower your cholesterol and the amount of calories that will be burned per hour.

table test

120 to 150
600 to 700
300 to 450
150 to 250
Raking Leaves
225 to 250
Lawn Mowing
300 to 450
Bicycling (5mph)
Bicycling (10mph)
Square Dancing
250 to 750
Light Calisthenics

Women and cholesterol... high cholesterol... leads to coronary disease... leads to heart attack... leads to the number one killer of women in the United States.

So do your part, embark on a healthy lifestyle.

Return to Women Health Concerns from Women and Cholesterol